Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Eleven weeks

Eleven weeks. Some days it seems like a long time ago, but most of time I’m reminding how much further I have to go before I am any where close to normal. Therapy helps a lot. I’m working squats, leg presses, leg lifts, stationary bike and half lunges. The leg is slowly getting stronger. One new exercise that has been added is balancing on repaired leg, standing on a trampoline while my therapist throws a ball for me to catch. I don’t have the best balance, so I end up laughing at myself flailing around trying to catch the ball.

The emotional side of the knee injury is still very challenging. I don’t like my loss of mobility, the lack of exercise I like, the twinges, and about twenty other things any of you who have gone through this all know about. Insurance companies are a royal pain. The whole medical process of billing, payments, partial payments, reimbursements, rebilling, resubmitting is just maddening. It’s like some crazy shell game with my money. One day I get a check from the surgical center because they say they billed me too much (or insurance paid more) then the next day I get a bill from the anesthesia group. I hate getting billed from so many directions at once. The healthcare system is a mess. It’s one more frustrating thing to deal with. At least now, I can go walk on the treadmill to burn off some adrenaline.

My next doctors visit is in the second week of August, I hope he’ll be able to tell me when I can jump and twist on the leg and if a brace will be suggested in the future. In some ways, I want the security of having a brace in the future when working out. I have occasionally put my post surgery brace on when I had a lot of walking to do, and man it feels good (reassuring). Patience, I do know it gets better.

1 comment:

Michele said...

I agree. For me, the emotional side of this injury was harder to overcome than the physical.

Good luck at your doctors visit!